Soldiers leave Afghanistan – level 1
It is September 11, 2001. Terrorists attack the World Trade Center and the Pentagon in the US. The US and UK send soldiers to Afghanistan.
The war starts. It lasts 20 years. More than 2,200 US soldiers die. The war costs the US 1 trillion dollars.
The US president says that all soldiers will leave Afghanistan. They will leave before September 11. It is the day of the 20th anniversary of the attacks.
British soldiers will leave soon, too. The UK does not say when. Afghan officials worry. They say that a civil war will start in Afghanistan.
Difficult words: soldier (a person who fights in a war), anniversary (a day on which something important happens in the past), civil war (when people of one country fight with each other).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos