Soldiers leave Afghanistan – level 2
In September 2001, terrorists attacked the World Trade Center and the Pentagon in the US.
Only one month later, the first US and UK soldiers came to Afghanistan to destroy al-Qaeda and the Taliban. The war on terror lasted 20 years and more than 2,200 US soldiers died. The war cost the US almost 1 trillion dollars.
The US president, Joe Biden, wanted to pull out all US soldiers by May 2021, but he announced a new deadline. The new deadline was September 11, which was the day of 20th anniversary of the attacks on the US.
The UK plans to pull out its soldiers, too, but Afghan officials are not happy. They worry that a civil war will start in Afghanistan.
Difficult words: pull out (to move something from its usual place), deadline (the latest time or date when something must happen), anniversary (the day on which something important happens in the past).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos