Soldiers shoot at a nuclear power plant – level 2
Russian soldiers got to a nuclear power plant in eastern Ukraine, the largest nuclear power plant in Europe, and the fifth in the world.
Videos showed how bullets hit some parts of the plant. Luckily, they didn’t damage the most important part of the plant, but a fire broke out in a training building. US president Joe Biden and Ukrainian president Volodymyr Zelenskiy asked Russia to stop the attack and let firefighters deal with the fire.
Officials said that nobody was hurt, and levels of radiation didn’t change. Zelenskiy said that Europe had to wake up. If the plant exploded, it would be a big problem for the whole Europe.
Difficult words: nuclear power plant (a place where people make electricity from energy of atoms), deal (to solve a problem), radiation (a form of energy which people don’t see, and which can be very dangerous to all living things).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.