Soldiers shoot at a nuclear power plant – level 3
A fire broke out in Europe’s largest nuclear power plant located in Zaporizhzhia early Friday.
The power plant in eastern Ukraine came under attack from Russian shelling. Emergency services said that the fire broke out in a training complex, and it was extinguished some hours later. According to officials, there were no injuries, the blaze didn’t affect essential equipment, and there was no change reported in radiation levels. US president Joe Biden spoke with Ukrainian president Volodymyr Zelenskiy after reports about the attack emerged. Both leaders called on Russia to cease its military activities in the area, and to allow firefighters and emergency responders to access the site.
Zelenskiy said in a video message early Friday that Europe had to wake up, adding that if the plant exploded, it would be the end of Europe.
Difficult words: shelling (the act of attacking a place with explosive bullets), radiation (a form of energy that people can’t see, and that can be dangerous to living organisms), cease (to stop something).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.