Somalia crisis – level 3
Somalia’s healthcare system is overwhelmed and in crisis because of an increasing number of militant attacks and the worst drought in four decades.
Hospitals have reported the number increased by 30% of mass casualty incidents from armed conflicts since 2021. At the end of October, 2022, militant group Al-Shabaab claimed responsibility for two car bomb blasts outside Somalia’s Ministry of Education. At least 120 people died, and it became the country’s deadliest incident in five years. Weeks later, hospitals are still dealing with the patient influx.
However, a surge in violence is just one problem for the country. A regional hospital in Baidoa has reported a more than 170% rise in the number of malnourished children. The UN has warned that part of the country is on the brink of famine, and more than half a million children are at risk of death. Drought and conflicts displaced many of them.
Difficult words: influx (an arrival of large numbers), malnourished (physically weak because of a lack of food), brink (a point at which something unpleasant is about to happen).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos