Somalia Hotel Attack – level 3
According to police, nine people died after Islamist insurgents stormed a hotel in the Somali capital, Mogadishu, on Sunday evening.
A suicide car bombing was followed by a shootout between Al-Qaeda linked militants and security forces during which four attackers died. Al-Shabaab claimed responsibility for the attack; it regularly carries out gun and bomb attacks in Mogadishu and across the country.
The assault took place amid angry disputes over delayed elections that were meant to begin in December last year; however, they were put back after the opposition accused the president of filling the electoral board with his supporters.
Times of political turmoil have traditionally boosted violent rebellion against the government.
Difficult words: insurgent (a person who fights against a government), amid (among, during), turmoil (a state of confusion and disorder), rebellion (an action organized by a large group of people who are trying to change their country´s political system).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.