South African Students Protest – level 3
Thousands of protesters gathered in the streets outside South Africa’s Wits University demonstrating against higher tuition fees, but it was not long before the scenes turned an uglier colour and a peaceful protest became a war zone. The police arrived to enforce a court order against public gathering at the campus, unleashing a barrage of tear gas, stun grenades, and rubber bullets on the crowd.
People in South Africa are frustrated, some feeling that higher education is still limited to wealthy white families over two decades after apartheid ended. When the government declared last month that tuition fees would continue to rise, tensions were perhaps destined to boil over.
University administrators warned that any further freezes to fees could damage their academic programs, but for many of the protesters, they would simply like the opportunity to learn.
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.