South Africa’s problems with electricity – level 1
South Africa has the biggest economy on the African continent. The country needs a lot of electricity. The situation is a problem for Eskom.
Eskom is an energy company. It is a government company. It has many power stations across the country. They are getting old. They don’t work well.
Regularly, something breaks. Power cuts happen. A power cut turns off electricity for some time. Last week, many power cuts happen. 42 power stations have problems.
Officials promise to change the situation. They have plans on what to do. Eskom says that it can take at least one year before the situation is better.
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.