South Africa’s problems with electricity – level 2
South Africa is struggling with regular power cuts, and the government’s plans aren’t working to help the problem.
Last week, many power cuts happened, which had a big impact on Africa’s most industrialized country. 42 power stations had problems, and some power stations stopped working more than only once. Eskom, the country’s energy company, promised to solve the crisis, but its officials said that the solution would take at least a year.
Eskom’s power stations are getting old and causing many problems. This year, the company already spent 451 million dollars on diesel for emergency generators.
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.