Spacecraft and asteroid crash – level 1
People worry that an object from space can hit our planet. Scientists look for ideas to stop such an object. One possible idea is to crash into the object. The object has to be far. Then its path will change. It will not hit Earth.
Last week, NASA does a test. It sends a spacecraft to space.
The spacecraft hits an asteroid. The asteroid is as big as a football stadium. The spacecraft is as big as a fridge. The speed of the spacecraft is 22,500 km/h.
The test is successful. The asteroid changes its path a little. This news is very good. People can do something about real danger.
Difficult words: path (the way how something moves), speed (how fast something is), danger (a situation which is not safe).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos