Spacecraft and asteroid crash – level 2
For the first time, NASA tested a crash a spacecraft into an asteroid.
The crash happened millions of kilometers from Earth. The asteroid wasn’t traveling towards Earth, so it wasn’t dangerous. NASA wanted to prove that people were able to stop an asteroid from crashing into our planet.
The spacecraft was as big as a fridge, and it hit an asteroid the size of a football stadium. The speed of the spacecraft was 22,500 km/h.
Scientists said that the test showed that people can to stop an object which could destroy our planet. If people changed the speed and direction of the object far enough from Earth, the object’s path change.
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.