Spacecraft and asteroid crash – level 3
For the first time, a cosmic collision happened between a spacecraft and a space rock, millions of kilometers from Earth.
NASA showed video of the successful crash of an unmanned spaceship into an asteroid called Dimorphos, a rock the size of a football stadium. The refrigerator-sized shuttle smashed into the asteroid at 22,500 km/h, and it altered the rock’s velocity by a fraction of a second.
The historic defense test proves humanity’s ability to stop a cosmic object from destroying our planet. The theory is that the smallest changes in speed and direction can have massive effects on an object’s path through space.
The asteroid wasn’t heading for Earth; however, scientists said that people should be reassured to know a planetary defense solution exists.
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.