Spacecraft gets to the Sun – level 3
For the first time in history, a spacecraft has touched the Sun. NASA´s Parker Solar Probe has flown through the Sun’s atmosphere, the corona, and sampled particles and magnetic fields.
The new milestone is one major step for the Parker Solar Probe and one giant leap for solar science. Just as landing on the Moon allowed scientists to understand how it was formed, touching the very stuff that makes up the Sun will help scientists learn important information about our closest star and its influence on the solar system. The solar system is our place in the universe. The sun will provide scientists with deeper insights into its evolution. However, everything we learn about our star also teaches us more about stars in the rest of the universe.
The NASA space probe launched in 2018, and it weighed 685 kilograms at the start of its milion. The cost of the project was 1.5 billion dollars. The Probe will approach to within 6.9 million kilometers from the center of the Sun. By 2025, it will travel at its closest, as fast as 690,000 kmph, or 0.064% the speed of light.
Difficult words: corona (the outer atmosphere of a star that can sometimes be seen during an eclipse), milestone (a significant stage or event in the development of something), one major step for… and one giant leap for (an astronaut said these words when he landed on the Moon), the speed of light (the fastest that something can move in the universe), ).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.