Spacecraft is close to a comet – level 2
People launched a spacecraft in March 2004. It traveled more than 4 billion miles (6.4 billion kilometres) since then.
At first, it moved between the Earth and Mars because the right direction had to be set. Now, the 10-year journey comes to an end, and the real science can begin. The spacecraft is only 100 kilometres from the comet, so experts can start analysing and measuring it.
They want to find out what its history is and what it’s made of. It could even answer some questions about the birth of the solar system or life itself.
Difficult words: launch (to begin the journey), analyse (study), measure (to find the size of something), solar system (our planet, the sun and other planets near to Earth exist here).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
Are you a teacher? Download the exercises for your class here. They are for free. You can copy them and use them in your class.
Do you think that there are aliens somewhere in the space?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.