Spacecraft photographs Mars – level 3
India’s first spacecraft to visit Mars has beamed home this incredible photo of the red planet, a view that reveals the planet from pole to pole.
The new photo from India’s Mangalyaan probe was unveiled on Monday by the Indian Space Research Organisation.
Officials from the organisation wrote, “Something’s brewing here!” in a Twitter post for the Mars orbiter, as a huge dust storm was said to be blanketing part of the planet’s northern region.
The spacecraft used its Mars Colour Camera to capture the stunning picture from a distance of 46,292 miles (74,500 km) above the planet on Sunday.
It’s the third and best view of Mars from the spacecraft since it arrived in orbit around the planet last week.
Mangalyaan is the centrepiece of India’s 74-million dollar mission, which launched towards the red planet in November 2013 and arrived in orbit last month.
The mission is expected to last between 6 and 10 months.
Difficult words: beam (send), probe (unmanned spacecraft which explores), unveil (to show publicly for the first time), huge (very big), stunning (amazing).
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.