Spacecraft wakes up – level 3
The Philae lander, which lost power after making its historic landing on a comet, has finally woken up and contacted the European Space Agency. The comet probe has been asleep since November after its batteries ran out and scientists were unable to recharge it. The Philae lander lay in the shadow of a crater wall and so was unable to gather solar power.
The European Space Agency has confirmed it is receiving transmissions from the Philae lander. It even sent a Tweet: “Hello, Earth! Can you hear me?”
When Philae landed six months ago, it only worked for around 60 hours before its solar-powered battery ran flat. The comet has since moved nearer to the sun and Philae has enough power to work again.
Scientists say they are now waiting for the next contact.
Difficult words: probe (an electronic machine that people send to study something far away), crater (a shallow hole on a planet or moon or comet), confirm (to prove something), transmission (a message), run flat (when something does not work anymore).
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.