SpaceX rocket – level 3
To infinity and beyond! Well, not quite…
This is the SpaceX Falcon’s fall from grace. The rocket exploded on landing after successfully delivering an ocean-monitoring satellite to orbit.
The footage was posted online by the company’s CEO Elon Musk, identifying the cause of the problem as one of the rocket’s legs collapsing as it tried to land on a floating ocean barge.
And this isn’t the first glitch that SpaceX has suffered. The company hasn’t launched a rocket since the Falcon 9 exploded in June. But despite these hiccups, the company managed a historic first controlled return of an orbital stage just last month.
The launch may have been a success, but this seems to be a case of failure to land.
Difficult words: to infinity and beyond (this is a saying from a movie called “Toy Story” and it means to go exploring far past where we know about), falcon (a type of bird which is very fast), fall from grace (losing prestige), orbit (the orbit around Earth – the circular route on which satellites move around Earth), footage (video), CEO (a chief executive officer – the boss of a company), barge (a big ship which cannot move fast), glitch (a problem), launch (to send a rocket on its way), hiccup (a small problem) failure to land (this means two things: to not finish something properly and to not land correctly).
Are you a SpaceX fan?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos