Spain heatwave – level 2
An extreme heatwave hits Spain, and temperatures in the west and south of the country reached almost 44 degrees Celsius.
Experts said that the heatwave was the worst pre-summer heatwave in the past 20 years. Heatwaves were more and more common, and they began earlier than in the past. Pre-summer heatwaves were dangerous for people because they had little time to get used to summer temperatures.
People had more health problems, such as heatstroke, dizziness, or headache. Experts said that summer in Spain began 20 to 40 days earlier than it did 50 years ago.
Due to the heat, more fires happened in Spain. Last week, almost 3,000 people left their homes in the southern part of the country.
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.