Spain’s Catholic Church says sorry – level 3
Spain’s Catholic Church has issued an apology to victims of sexual abuse by priests.
However, they have raised doubts about the accuracy of a recent survey that indicated a higher prevalence of abuse nationwide compared to previous investigations.
The survey released by Spain’s human rights ombudsman revealed that 0.6% of over 8,000 respondents reported abuse, rising to 1.1% when including lay individuals like teachers at Catholic schools. The Spanish Bishops’ Conference acknowledged the damage caused by some Church members and repeated their request for forgiveness from the victims.
Spain, where approximately 60% of the population identifies as Catholic, only began discussing the issue publicly following a significant media investigation in 2021. The Conference criticized the lack of cooperation with the survey and expressed concerns about its methodology.
Difficult words: prevalence (the extent to which something is widespread), ombudsman (a person who investigates complaints and reports to them), methodology (a system of methods used in a particular area of study or activity).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think the Spanish Bishops' Conference should do to ensure victims of sexual abuse by priests receive justice?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.