Spain’s nightclubs fire – level 3
A tragic fire in adjacent Spanish nightclubs in Murcia, south-eastern Spain, has claimed the lives of at least 13 people, with fears that the death toll may rise further as rescue teams continue searching for missing people.
The fire occurred in the early hours at the two-story Teatre nightclub, also known as Fonda Milagros. Rescue workers faced challenges due to the collapsed roof of the Fonda nightclub, which sustained the most damage. The exact cause and location of the fire remained uncertain, hampering the identification of victims. Four survivors were injured, suffering from smoke inhalation.
The mayor of Murcia declared three days of mourning, and the Spanish prime minister expressed solidarity with the victims’ families. This tragedy recalls previous nightclub disasters in Spain, including a floor collapse in Tenerife in 2017 and a fatal fire in Zaragoza in 1990.
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What measures can be taken to ensure safety in night venues and prevent similar tragedies from happening in the future?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.