Spain’s ugliest tomato – level 1
An unusual competition takes place in Tudela, Spain. Farmers compete in the ’ugliest tomato’ award.
The competition happens every year. It is on September 12 this year. Farmers bring tomatoes which are ugly. Most tomatoes are Marmande tomatoes.
Nobody really knows why some tomatoes grow ugly. One farmer says that bees are the reason. Bees take the pollen from one flower to another. Something goes wrong sometimes. Then, the tomatoes are ugly.
Marisol and Vincente Martinez win the competition this year. They say that they do not plan to grow ugly tomatoes. It just happens. They bring the tomatoes to Tudela. Then, they win. The prize is a Spanish ham.
Difficult words: competition (an event when somebody wants to be better than others), compete (to try to be better at something than others), pollen (a yellow powder which is on flowers, and bees take it to other flowers).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos