Spain’s ugliest tomato – level 2
Farmers in Spain competed to win the ’ugliest tomato’ award. The competition happens every year in northern Tudela. Farmers bring tomatoes which are usually the Marmande type, and people call this type the Ugly Tomato of Tudela.
One participant in the competition said that bees were the reason why some tomatoes were so ugly. Bees took the pollen from one place to another, but something went wrong, and then some tomatoes grew ugly.
Marisol and Vincente Martinez won this year’s award. They said that they did not plan to grow ugly tomatoes. It just happened by chance, and the couple decided to be in the competition. The first prize was an Iberian ham.
Difficult words: participant (a person who takes part in a competition or game), pollen (a yellow powder which is on flowers, and bees carry it to other flowers), Iberia (the peninsula where Spain and Portugal are located).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.