Spanish village changes name – level 2
Fuentes de Andalucia is a small village of about 7,100 inhabitants, which lies in southern Spain and east of Seville.
Last week, the village changed its name to ‘Ukraine’, and it will keep the name over Easter. Officials also changed the names of some streets, and the new names were City of Kyiv, Odesa, and Mariupol.
The main reason was to make people aware of the war in Ukraine more than 4,000 kilometers away. The village also wanted to show solidarity with the Ukrainian people.
The village raised 3,500 euros in two days, and it plans to build a center for people who are running from the war. Up to 25 people or six families could stay there.
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.