Spanish village changes name – level 3
Fuentes de Andalucia, a peaceful village in southern Spain, renamed itself ‘Ukraine’ for the duration of Holy Week.
On a sign at a roundabout at the village’s entrance, Ukraine and its blue and yellow flag replaced the name of the village. Streets have been renamed City of Kyiv, Odesa, and Mariupol, in the village of more than 7,100 inhabitants which is more than 4,000 kilometers away from Ukraine.
The main objective was to raise awareness about the conflict in Ukraine and also about other current wars in the world. Another objective was to support a center for refugee families to host 20 to 25 people and to offer homes. The village raised 3,500 euros within two days towards the planned center.
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.