Special balls on water – level 1
It is very dry in California. It does not rain for a long time. California tries to save water.
People make many black balls. The black balls save water. People move the balls into water. The balls stay on the surface of the water. The balls stop the sun. They also stop aquatic plants and birds.
One ball costs 36 cents. The balls work for 20 years. They save 1.1 million cubic metres of water every year.
Difficult words: surface (top), aquatic (water), cost (to have a price).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this way to save water?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.