Special Cat in London – level 2
National Geographic Wild introduced the first animatronic leopard. The channel created the big cat to inform about serious threats to the animal. The channel introduced it at the beginning of the Big Cat Week on the channel. Someone put the leopard on the streets of London and it scared some local people.
The creator worked for over two months on the animatronic cat. He explained that on the street, the cat will just be lying down and doing almost nothing. It will just move its tail from one side to another. But when people go near, it will start to make noises and will move its face.
The main threat to leopards is the destruction of 90% of their natural environment. The big cats must share their territory with people. This project wants to inform people about the problem and start new strategies to help the big cat. It wants to reduce human and big cat conflicts.
Difficult words: animatronic (connected with a machine which looks like something else), threat (danger).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.