Special Cat in London – level 3
National Geographic Wild has introduced the first of a hyper-realistic animatronic leopard. The channel created the big cat to raise awareness about serious threats to the animal and to mark the beginning of the Big Cat Week on the channel. People saw the leopard on the streets of London and it scared them.
It took over two months to create the animatronic cat. The creator explained how the cat works. He also explained that on the street the cat will just be lying and doing almost nothing. It will just move its tail from one side to another. But when people go near, it will start to make noises and it will use facial expressions.
The main threat to leopards is the destruction of 90% of their natural environment. The big cats have no choice but to share their territory with man. This project hopes to raise awareness and put into practice strategies to reduce human and big cat conflicts.
Difficult words: animatronic (related to a machine that looks like an animal), raise awareness (give more information), threat (danger).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.