Special Delivery – level 3
The company Neolix invented driverless vehicles that have been put in use during the coronavirus epidemic to deliver medical supplies to hospitals.
Its vans are also being used to help disinfect streets and to move food to people who are working on the front line to slow the spread of the virus.
Neolix has partnered with KFC, the US fast food restaurant chain, to introduce driverless food trucks. Customers scan a code with their mobile phones, and they use an app to choose a product that they like. The vehicle’s door will open as soon as the scan is done and a payment is made. Then, customers take out the food and they close the door.
Demand for Neolix’s vehicles has surged during the coronavirus pandemic and more importantly, people’s perception towards driverless delivery has completely changed. Some people say that the commercialization of driverless-courier technology could provide lessons for autonomous vehicles carrying passengers.
Difficult words: perception (the way in which something is regarded or understood), commercialization (the process of bringing new products or services to market), autonomous vehicle (a car that operates without a driver).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.