Spider web music – level 2
Scientists studied 3D models of spider webs and they used computers to make unusual sounds.
A computer program checked the density of a web. If the density was higher, the music was more complicated. It was not usual music but a melody which scientists thought that spiders could feel. People cannot hear how spiders communicate because our ears cannot hear signals of this frequency. Scientists hope that one day, they can communicate with spiders.
Spider webs are very strong, and the silk is five times stronger than steel. Scientists believe that in the future, they can use it in construction.
Difficult words: density (the number of things in a place or a thing), melody (a short song), frequency (the size of the waves which a sound makes), silk (a very strong material which some insects make and people use it to make clothes).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.