Spot the robot dog – Level 3
A new robot dog named Spot has been revealed by Boston Dynamics. The Google-owned robotics company released this YouTube video of Spot, a four-legged robot that can navigate rough terrain and office cubicles alike.
The four-legged creation runs on an electric motor that powers a series of hydraulics, the motors responsible for controlling the movement of a mechanical system.
Spot can be seen walking indoors, walking through various outdoor terrains, climbing stairs, and running. The video also shows Spot being kicked – a bit mean, but presumably to demonstrate its use of a sensor that helps it navigate and walk.
Boston Dynamics, which is based in Massachusetts, was purchased by Google for an undisclosed amount in December 2013.
Difficult words: reveal (to show something for the first time), rough (rocky or hilly), terrain (land), office cubicle (a small part of an office for a person to work inside), alike (as well), hydraulic (something that works by the use of a liquid), various (different), presumably (probably), demonstrate (to show off), sensor (a machine that knows where things are), purchase (to buy), undisclosed (secret).
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.