Spy in China – level 3
This is a military spy according to the Chinese Government, handcuffed and handed a ten-year prison term for supposedly leaking sensitive documents to a foreign spy.
The man whose surname is said to be Li told officials that a woman got in touch over the internet and paid him to subscribe to secret military publications via China’s National Library. He says when he logged on there she could see, too. News reports from China say Mr Li then leaked 13 highly classified documents, ten others of a less sensitive nature, and also information on the development of military bases and gear.
This official working for Shantou City’s security bureau says the total number of pieces of info could have been 2,000.
China is working to increase its security after it emerged that the US government had spied on a top telecommunications firm. The country’s military has already warned that it faces a “severe and complex” task in maintaining secrecy with widespread internet use and mobile links.
Difficult words: handcuff (to “lock” somebody’s hands by a pair of metal rings joined by a chain), supposedly (according to what is generally believed), classified (secret), gear (equipment), bureau (government department).
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.