Squirrels in the UK – level 1
This news is about squirrels. There are two types in the UK. One type is red and little. The other type is bigger and grey. The red squirrel is British. The grey squirrel is from North America.
The grey squirrel outcompetes the red squirrel. The grey squirrel also carries a virus. This virus kills the red squirrels. There are only 140,000 red squirrels in the UK.
People help the red squirrel. They give something to the grey squirrels. The grey squirrels stop having babies.
Difficult words: squirrel (a small animal which lives in the trees), outcompete (do something better).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos