Squirrels in the UK – level 3
The number of red squirrels in the UK, which is the native squirrel, is rapidly declining with only 140,000 left. The grey squirrel, which came from North America about 150 years ago, outcompetes the reds squirrel for food and carries the fatal virus ’squirrel pox’.
Conservationists decided to fight back, as the red squirrels could otherwise be extinct within a generation. The programme will control grey squirrel numbers in a humane way by changing the grey squirrel’s hormone cycle, so it will not breed and will die out naturally.
Difficult words: outcompete (be better in living and having babies).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.