Sri Lanka farmers protest – level 2
In May this year, the Sri Lankan government decided that farmers could not use chemical fertilizers. The reason was that the country wanted to be friendlier to the natural world.
Sri Lanka wanted to have agriculture that would be 100% organic. It meant that farmers would use no chemicals at all. Then it brought many problems, and thousands of farmers protested. Recently, it was time to start planting rice, but some farmers could not do it, and they waited for the government’s help, which did not come.
Almost two thirds of people in Sri Lanka work in or need agriculture, and many farmers believe that people will not have enough food. Officials said that the move towards organic farming would not be easy, but most people agreed that it was important.
Difficult words: fertilizer (a substance which people put in the ground to make plants grow better), agriculture (growing plants and keeping animals for food), organic (something that comes from the natural world).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos