Sri Lanka farmers protest – level 3
Sri Lanka’s decision to ban imports of chemical fertilizers has now led to protests by farmers. In May, the ban was introduced for environmental reasons; however, the farming industry went into crisis because of it.
For weeks, thousands of farmers protested after the Sri Lankan government announced that it wanted to move towards 100% organic agriculture, as it was more sustainable and environmentally friendly. Many farmers argue that the move will hurt the industry and harm the country’s food amount.
Almost two thirds of Sri Lanka’s population depends on agriculture, and the industry is 7% of the country’s GDP.
Early monsoon season usually means the start of planting for rice farmers across the country; however, this year, many are planting less than usual as they wait for the government’s assistance to shift to organic farming. The Ministry of Agriculture acknowledged that the shift has been shaky; however, various industries of the society support it.
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.