Sri Lanka Muslims – level 2
The Sri Lankan government will ban wearing burqas, and it will close some Islamic schools.
Children in Sri Lanka must go to school from the age of 5 and they must study until the age of 16. Schools must keep some rules, but many Islamic schools do not do this, and the government decided to close more than a thousand of them.
In the past, women in Sri Lanka did not wear burqas. Recently, some of them started, and the government thought that it was dangerous for the country.
Last year, the government decided to cremate people who died from COVID-19. Muslims were not happy because it was not usual for them to cremate dead people. This year, the government changed the rule, but there are some new strict rules for Muslims in Sri Lanka.
Difficult words: burqa (a piece of clothing that covers the face and body, and some Muslim women wear it), Islamic (something that is connected with the Muslim religion of Islam), cremate (to burn the body of somebody who dies).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos