Sri Lanka Prison Troubles – level 2
In Sri Lanka, prisoners were not happy with the way that authorities handled the coronavirus, and they started to protest. In the Mahara prison near the capital of Colombo, the situation got out of control.
Sri Lankan prisons were very crowded and the number of new cases of the coronavirus started to go up. Prisoners wanted more tests, and they also wanted more rooms for infected prisoners. The guards tried to calm the prisoners, but authorities needed to send hundreds of police officers to help the guards.
Officials said that eight prisoners died and more than 50 prisoners ended up in hospital seriously hurt.
Difficult words: handle (to solve a situation), infected (sick with a disease that can spread among people), guard (a person whose job is to keep somebody or a place safe)
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos