Sri Lankan president wants changes – level 2
Sri Lanka is experiencing a serious economic crisis. The country couldn’t pay for imported food and fuel, which meant that some people had little food and medicine.
In early April, big protests started, and people wanted the government to quit. The president’s cabinet quit, but the president refused. Last week, he started a new cabinet, and he said that the crisis was a good chance to make changes in the country.
President Gotabaya Rajapaksa said that he was ready to talk to other political groups and discuss their ideas. He also said that it was necessary to make changes in the constitution.
Difficult words: imported (things which a country brings from another country and sells them), cabinet (the people who work for the president), constitution (the basic laws of a country).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos