Sri Lankan president wants changes – level 3
Sri Lanka’s president Gotabaya Rajapaksa told his new cabinet that he would seek solutions to his country’s problems.
The leader appointed the cabinet despite calls for him to resign over an economic crisis, and he said the problem was an opportunity for change. The crisis was partially from a shortage of foreign money and the country’s inability to pay for imports of staple food and fuel. This led to serious food shortages and medicine and very high prices.
Large protests began in early April, and people called for the president to resign. Rajapaksa’s cabinet resigned; however, the president refused. He said that the crisis was an opportunity to discuss the views of various political parties that required changes in the constitution and to approve the necessary amendments.
Difficult words: cabinet (the government employees that help a president) staple food (the basic and most important food in people’s everyday lives), amendment (a law or change that’s added to the constitution).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.