St Teresa – level 2
Tens of thousands of pilgrims came to St Peter’s Square at the Vatican on Sunday. Pope Francis declared Mother Teresa of Calcutta a saint.
She worked in the slums of the Indian city which is now called Calcutta. Mother Teresa became one of the most recognisable faces of the 20th century. She received the Nobel Peace Prize for her work. The Pope said that many people will still call her Mother Teresa, not St Teresa.
Critics of Mother Teresa say that she did not fight the causes of poverty. They say that she took money from dictators and use the money for her work. However, Pope John Paul II put her on the route to canonisation two years after her death instead of the usual five years. She died in 1997.
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.