Starlings in Denmark – level 3
Every year in autumn, migrating starlings flock together in the marshes of the Wadden Sea National Park in Denmark looking for rest and food on their way south for the winter.
Hundreds of thousands of birds swirled into formations against the crisp autumn sky, and attracted quite a crowd of spectators. When the starlings tried to land, they performed a balletic shaping that blocks the view of the sky leading to its rather appropriate nickname, Black Sun, which is the biggest Danish nature event.
From the end of September to the beginning of October, people can see up to a million birds landing in a chosen spot at sunset and putting up a show which attracts around a hundred thousand people each year.
Difficult words: starling (a small songbird), flock (come together), marsh (an area of low-lying land which is flooded in wet seasons), swirl (move in a twisting or spiralling pattern), crisp (cold, dry and clear), balletic (ballet-like).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.mmm
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos