Statue of David Bowie – level 2
Aylesbury is a town in England where David Bowie first debuted Ziggy Stardust, his alter ego. After Bowie died in 2016, two thousand people came together there to remember him.
They thought that it would be a good idea to put a monument for the town and Bowie. An artist manager and fan raised £100,000 for the monument in two years. People recently unveiled the statue of David Bowie and his alter egos.
There is also a petition to change the town’s name from Aylesbury to ‘Aylesbowie’. Aylesbury has in fact had 57 names over the centuries, so a new one would be the 58th.
Difficult words: debut (perform in public for the first time), alter ego (a person’s secondary or alternative personality), unveil (to show a piece of art for the first time), petition (a formal request).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.