Statue of Karl Marx – level 2
Karl Marx grew up in Trier, Germany, and China gifted a big statue of him to the town. People unveiled the statue of Communism’s co-founder, and the statue’s sculptor said that the statue is a symbol of friendship between the two countries.
Protesters and supporters came to the town because of the statue. East Germans were under Communism for 55 years after World War Two ended. Critics said that China does not treat its people well.
Difficult words: Communism (a government where people own everything and each person gets money according to how he works and what he needs), co-founder (someone who helps start something), sculptor (a person who designs a three-dimensional piece of art).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.