Stolen Violin Returns – level 2
Antonin Stradivari, the world’s renowned violin maker, made violins in the 1700s. Only about 550 violins made by him exist now. He made one violin called the Ames Stradivarius in 1734, which is probably worth millions of dollars.
Someone stole that violin from a musician in 1980. Decades later, the thief, who was another violinist, showed his ex-wife a locked violin case. In 2015, she took that violin for an appraisal and found out what it was. The family of the owner received the violin back.
A Chinese woman who came to study under the true owner of the violin played it in New York City on March 13th.
Difficult words: renowned (famous and respected), appraisal (the action of finding out how much something costs), study under (learn from).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.