Stonehenge Tunnel – level 2
The British government approved a $2 billion tunnel under Stonehenge.
Stonehenge is a prehistoric stone monument in southwest England that people built more than 5,000 years ago. Since 1986, Stonehenge has been on the list of world heritage sites.
The reason why officials decided to build a tunnel under Stonehenge was to deal with traffic in the area. There is a very busy road near Stonehenge which becomes narrow, and it often stops traffic. The tunnel will be about three kilometers long, and it will be about 50 metres farther away than the road.
Many people protest against the tunnel. They are afraid that it will destroy the stones and the landscape around them.
Difficult words: prehistoric (something that existed before people started to record information), monument (a large structure that people make to remember something; a monument is often made from stone), world heritage site (a place that is very special and people must look after it well to keep it for next generations), landscape (an area of land with its hills, fields, rivers and other things).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.