Stonehenge Tunnel – level 3
The British government has given the green light to a controversial $2 billion tunnel under the ancient site of Stonehenge.
The project is designed to work on traffic bottlenecks on a major route to southwest England, and it will allow the route to be turned into a divided highway tunnel under the ancient site. A thirteen-kilometer stretch of dual-carriageway will be built, including the three-kilometer tunnel under the world heritage site, about 50 metres further away from the stones than the existing route. However, objectors claim that moving the road underground would not enhance the site and harm the cultural heritage, landscape, and visual impact of Stonehenge.
Some people welcome the project and they say that it will reunite Stonehenge with the surrounding prehistoric landscape,
Difficult words: to give the green light (to approve), traffic bottleneck (a place where a road becomes narrow and it causes the traffic to slow down or stop), world heritage site (a place or area that is very special and important and therefore it must be protected).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.