Storm Ana – level 1
A big storm hits Southern Africa. Heavy rains make floods in Malawi, Madagascar, and Mozambique. 48 people die in Madagascar. 130,000 stay in shelters. 18 people die in Malawi. 200,000 people are without homes.
A flood damages a big road. People and cars cannot leave. An official in Malawi says that the situation is very serious. He says that such problems happen more.
Another storm is coming from the Indian Ocean. It is Storm Batsirai. It will get to Africa in a few days. Experts do not know yet how strong it will be.
Difficult words: flood (when there is too much water in a river or in the streets), shelter (a place where people are safe from bad weather or a dangerous situation), damage (to break).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos