Storm hits Fiji – level 1
Fiji is a country in the South Pacific. Fiji is an island country. 300 islands make up the country. People live on only 100 of the islands.
A storm hits Fiji. It is a very strong storm. The winds blow at speeds of 322 kilometres per hour. The storm destroys houses, trees and power lines. Eighteen people die. Fiji is not safe.
The government is making Fiji safe again. But this takes time. People must wait.
Difficult words: destroy (to break), power line (a cable which carries electricity), government (the leaders of a country).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
Has a big storm hit where you live?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.