Storm hits Fiji – level 2
Fiji is a country in the South Pacific. More than 300 islands comprise it, but only a hundred of them are inhabited.
A very strong storm hit Fiji. It was one of the strongest storms in the Southern Hemisphere. The winds blew at speeds of 322 kilometres per hour.
People named the storm Winston. It caused great damage to the country as trees, houses and power lines fell down. Eighteen people died in this storm.
The government is working to make the country safe again, but it will take time. Fiji is very far from land, which makes the situation complicated. People must wait for supplies.
Difficult words: comprise (to make up), inhabited (with people), supplies (food and things that people need).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
Has a big storm hit where you live?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.