Storm in India – level 3
Powerful cyclone Fani made landfall in the state of Odisha in India around 8 a.m. local time last Friday. It brought heavy rain and wind speeds of more than 193 kilometres per hour.
It is the strongest cyclone to have hit India in decades, and at least three people were reported dead on Friday. Around 1.2 million people were ordered to evacuate Odisha and moved into thousands of shelters. Classes at schools cancelled and airports shut down.
The cyclone weakened slightly as it made landfall, and meteorologists predict that it will continue to weaken as it moves towards Bangladesh.
Difficult words: make landfall (come to land from sea), shelter (a safe place), predict (say what you think is going to happen).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos